Peoples’ Joint Action Committee for Boroland Movement (PJACBM), a conglomeration of 52 organizations of different communities living in Boroland area on behalf of the Boro and other indigenous tribal people and also on behalf of the people of different communities living in Boroland has resolved to intensify the democratic mass movement for separate state of Boroland.
As we are aware of the fact that the NDFB (Progressive) is on political dialogue with the Government of India to resolve the Boro people’s demand for Boroland state under the Article 2 & 3 of the Indian constitution. But the fact is that the dialogue is not moving forward because of lack of political will on the part of the government in regards to resolution of the Boroland problem.
We are also aware of the fact that the Government of India is holding an all party meeting on 28th December to discuss on Telangana issue siding aside our 46 years continued movement for separate state of Boroland, which is discriminatory and intolerable design to isolate our legitimate demand for separate state of Boroland.
Government of India very often speaks for peace. Our people are not against peace. In the name of maintaining low and order, the police, paramilitaries and army personnel are heavily installed in the proposed Boroland areas and instead of helping in maintaining peace through justice, they are often found to be indulged in creating more violence by fake encounters, extrajudicial killings, intimidation and arbitrary arrest of innocent Boro and other Indigenous youths. The truth is that peace will never prevail in our area unless and until Boro people are granted Boroland state. We want the Boroland problem to be resolved once for all but not in a piece meal manner.
PJACBM is also aware of the fact that the Boro and other Indigenous peoples along with the people of different communities living together in the region since long want to live together in peace with equal rights, equal status and equal opportunities and also want their languages, cultures and identities to be fully protected under the provisions of the Indian constitution.
To show our solidarity with NDFB (P) and to express our united voice on the issue of Boroland state PJACBM unanimously resolved to launch a democratic, peaceful and non violent agitational programme “INDEFINITE PERIOD ECONOMIC BLOCKADE” with effect from 1st January 2013 to intensify our democratic mass movement where hundreds of thousands of people will gather at different places like to block the 31, 37 and 52 National Highways with banners and slogans in support of creating separate state of Boroland.
During the economic blockade, any economic goods carrying vehicle will be blocked while passenger bus, private cars, rickshaws, motor bikes and essential services like health, postal and media vehicles will be exempted.
PJACBM through this INDEFINITE ECONOMIC BLOCKADE would place the following demands to the government of India to:
(1) Expedite the NDFB (P)’s dialogue with the Government of India in the political level for immediate amicable solution of the long standing demand for Boroland state;
(2) Create Boroland state comprising 32 Tribal Belts and Blocks, Tribal Sub Plant area and adjoining tribal contiguous area covering 25, 478 sq.km. in the northern bank of the Brahmaputra from the Sankosh river in the west to Sadiya in the east under the Article 2 & 3 with special provision to Article 371 (A) of the constitution of India;
(3) Grant Sixth Schedule Status to the existing Non-Territorial Autonomous Councils for the indigenous tribal people such as – Rabha Hasong Autonomous Council (RHAC), Tiwa Council Autonomous Council (TAC), Deuri Autonomous Council (DAC), Thengal Autonomous Council (TAC), Sonowal Autonomous Council (SUC) and Mishing Autonomous Council (MAC);
(4) Grant Scheduled Tribe Status to all the sons of the soil of Assam whoever have been deprived of enjoying such right so far;
(5) grant Scheduled Tribe (Hill) Status to the Boro people living in Karbi Anglong Autonomous Council (KAAC) and Dima Hasao Autonomous Territorial Council (DHATC) in the ST list of Assam;
(6) Grant Schedule Tribe (Plain) Status to the Karbi and Garo people living in the plain of the proposed Boroland area as well as in Assam who have been recognized as the Scheduled Tribe (Hill) in Assam;
(7) Detect and identify the illegal migrants on the basis of the Census Report of 1951 and the Electoral Roll of 1952 and deport thereof for the interest of safety and security of India in general and for the indigenous peoples of the North East in particular;
(8) Clear the Tribal Belts and Blocks in Assam from illegal encroachment;
Through this press release, PJACBM appeals all supporters of the separate state of Boroland to fully cooperate to make the Indefinite Economic Blockade agitational programme a grand success.
Jebra Ram Muchahary Matilal Barman Usuf Ali Shekar Sharma
Chief Convenor Convenor Convenor Convenor